+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intermediate pale morph Wedge-tailed Shearwater off Swansea, NSW

Administrator

Intermediate pale morph Wedge-tailed Shearwater off Swansea, NSW

From Mick Roderick

It was reasonably quiet today, but with the usual Wedgies, Fleshies and Short-taileds getting about (and more Hutton's than Fluttering, maybe a dozen of the former). On the way back in a bird that looked otherwise like a Wedge-tailed Shearwater but with pale underparts appeared in the throng. We have identified it as an intermediate morph Wedge-tailed Shearwater (there is a very low res image attached to a Birdline NSW report, but if anyone would like to see higher res images let me know and I'll forward them through).

I've been trying to find info on just how commonly this morph is recorded in Australian waters and cannot find much at all. I recall talking to Lindsay Smith (SOSSA Wollongong) about this last weekend and I'm sure he said they've had very few, if any, off W'gong over the years.

Has anyone else recorded pale Wedgies in south-eastern Australian waters?
    Name:  Pale Wedgie1(reduced).jpg
Views: 170
Size:  157.6 KB

Name:  pale1.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  Pale Wedgie2(reduced).jpg
Views: 161
Size:  137.0 KB

Name:  pale2.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  122.4 KB

Storm-Petrel
    Thanks for posting these Brook. Since posting Birding-aus I've had quite a few responses re: pale or 'intermediate' morph birds off NSW. This has included 4 or so off W'gong, one off Sydney, a few seawatched at Maroubra, one beach-cast at Wardell Beach and one was found nesting on North Solitary Island in 1971 (thanks to all of those who have responded). It has been suggested that these records be documented which I am interested in being a part of...some time down the track!

Hi Mick,

Yesterday, we had a pale morph Wedge-tailed Shearwater off Southport. Photos were taken. My first at the OZ E-coast. Paul Walbridge said it was his second (plus a couple of beach-washed ones).

Cheers,

Nikolas

+ Reply to Thread