+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Records of Pterodroma brevipes in Australian waters

Records of Pterodroma brevipes in Australian waters

Hi fellow seabird enthusiasts,

Is anyone aware of any reported sightings of Collared Petrel, Pterodroma brevipes (syn. P. leucoptera brevipes) in Australian waters?

Cheers,
    Dean

Hi Dean,

Here the BARC reports:
    603 Collared Petrel (1) Pterodroma brevipes off Norfolk Island 04-Mar-07 ......Accepted
    604 Collared Petrel (2) Pterodroma brevipes off Norfolk Island 31-Mar-07 ......Accepted
    605 Collared Petrel (3) Pterodroma brevipes off Norfolk Island 07-Apr-08 ......Accepted
    606 Collared Petrel (4) Pterodroma brevipes off Norfolk Island 06-Oct-08 ......Accepted
    607 Collared Petrel (5) Pterodroma brevipes off Norfolk Island 20-Mar-09 ......Accepted
    608 Collared Petrel (6) Pterodroma brevipes off Norfolk Island 21-Mar-09 ......Accepted

Cheers,

Nikolas

Recently these pictures from a New Caledonia expedition were posted online:
    **http://www.zegrahm.com/blog

I am surprised how far the white reached into the primary tips of the Collared Petrels and how similar the width of the black trailing edge was in Collared compared to Gould's Petrel. This makes these two field marks somewhere between very difficult to use and almost useless and could start the discussion again re the collared Gould's Petrels that frequently turn up in Australian waters.

Here a few pictures (all by Raja):

(1) collared (note the lower case 'c') Gould's Petrel Sydney 2010:
    **http://www.adarman.com/Birds/Petrels-Shearwaters/Goulds-Petrel/16226785_MCf4pS#!i=812226742&k=NsB32sS&lb=1&s=A

(2) collared (note the lower case 'c') Gould's Petrel Sydney 2013:
    **http://www.adarman.com/Pelagics/New-South-Wales-Pelagics/2013-February-09-Sydney/27944290_xW68HX#!i=2358694275&k=vBf8mHw&lb=1&s=A

The issue is that the presence of a collar is apparently not diagnostic for Collared vs. Gould's. Width of the trailing edge and amount of black/white in the primary tips are supposed to be better field marks. The two subspecies of Gould's Petrel don't make this issue easier - especially since caledonica is supposed to have more extensive black wing tips than the nominate ssp.

If the collar was diagnostic (I am not sure if Gould's Petrels with collars have been reported from the breeding colonies), then both Sydney birds (and a number of Southport birds seen by Paul Walbridge et al.) should be Collared Petrels.

In contrast, if width of the trailing edge and amount of black/white in the primary tips were diagnostic, then both Sydney birds and the birds photographed during the New Caledonia expedition should be 'collared' Gould's Petrels (rather than Collared Petrels).

Based on the latter field marks we identified both Sydney birds as 'collared' Gould's Petrels.

I was surprised that BARC put so much emphasis on how the six accepted Collared Petrels off Norfolk Island (or at least the pale morph birds observed there; see previous post) were told apart from Stejneger's Petrel rather than from the very similar Gould's Petrel.

Is there a good article on the ID of Gould's (both sspp.) versus Collared (especially pale morph)?

Cheers,

Nikolas

+ Reply to Thread