+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bottle-nosed Dolphins in sydney Harbour

Storm-Petrel

Bottle-nosed Dolphins in sydney Harbour

Last weekend (16-17) July there were about 100 "inshore" Bottle-nosed Dolphins in outer Sydney Harbour. They were seen from the Halicat in Rose Bay, Aplin Bay, Fort Denison, Middle Head, Bradleys Head, Pig and Sow, etc. A lot of them looked heavy bellied, but others were smaller (juveniles) and there were a few small calves. My interpretation (hypothesis) is that this was an amalgamation of a few smaller family pods of females and their juveniles, many of the females pregnant (apparently adult males form males only pods (usually, elsewhere). I reckon they were in the harbour to calve. Today (24 July), could not find them in any of these areas. Perhaps the freshwater in the harbour and outside the heads after this week’s heavy rains led them to head back out to sea?

Storm-Petrel
    Pregnant bottle-nosed dolphins in Sydeny Harbour again this afternoon. some are so fat even passengers who had never seen dolphins before were asking me if they were pregnant.

Wink Spotted 14-08-11

A pod of bottle-nosed dolphins was spotted at Gap Park, near Watsons Bay 14-08-11 afternoon. Came right up to the shore line, amazing!

Storm-Petrel
    They would be the same pod. I didn't see them the last 2 weekends, anxious to know how they go, keen to see the calves. Saw Offshore Bottlenoses at Browns Mountain during the Sydney Pelagic on Saturdaty 13/8/11. A very different animal, much more slender, patterned and scarred.

+ Reply to Thread