+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for someone looking at doing their 1st pelagic

Administrator

Advice for someone looking at doing their 1st pelagic

There's quite a few people on the forum who have done a fair amount of pelagic birding, in a variety of places and conditions.

I thought that people who may not have done a pelagic would like some advice on what to take and do to make the trip a pleasant experience. 10 hours on a boat can be a long day if you're not enjoying yourself.

So, what advice would you regulars give?

If its going to be lumpy then a steak and a couple of beers the night before with a Kwells before bedtime....

A bottle of water to wash the salt water off your binoculars... assuming they are waterproof

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
    If its going to be lumpy then a steak and a couple of beers the night before with a Kwells before bedtime....
    I can't understate the importance of some sort of sea sickness medication (not sure about the steak and beer though ). It's a long day out there when you are sick. Kwells didn't really work for me, but Travacalm Original has been good.

I'm not sure about ginger or ginger products as a counter to sea sickness, I've seen alot of sick people who have taken ginger as a sea sickness prevention method.

I think it depends on what works for you. Kwells work for me but I know they dont for a lot of people. I guess just find something that works and doesn't knock you out

Storm-Petrel

A cure for sea sickness

A cure for sea sickness that will work for everyone 100% of the time is to sit under a shady tree for a few minutes.

Storm-Petrel

Smile what helps

I did my first trip in April. Took a sea sickness tablet which was beaut, Sadly my camel back for water had been contaminated which meant I was low on fluids and pretty thirsty when I stept off. I gueess plenty of fluids helps too.

Sea sickness medication? What's that stuff good for? I haven't had the need for that, yet.

For me, eating light stuff during the trip on an almost continuous basis, and photographing a lot does the trick. In other words, pretend to be busy all the time, and don't give your stomach the time to object in any way whatsoever.

When it gets a bit too rough, some additional contemplation may be useful and necessary. Maybe we should bring some unprocessed vegetation on board, as suggested above, although Carl would prefer a bonsai type tree, I guess.

Storm-Petrel
    frankie- neither did i years ago, but as a guy who used to sail, I can assure you there is a first time! lol!

Storm-Petrel
    ps... Something to hold your hat on. (mine blew off)..., and secure your bag/pack to the boat. Dr Jim Fowler nearly lost a day pack he borrowed.

Do you suffer from motion sickness?

If so, See your local chemist for advise. Note it is advised that any medication prescribed is taken before going to bed. This will ensure that it is in your system before you get to the boat. Take further medication before getting aboard.

Preparation: Do’s and Don’ts
    If possible get a good nights sleep (this unlikely due to excitement or apprehension).
    Have something in your stomach (preferably not Beer and Whiskey)
    Be sure to have a light snack for breakfast Toast and Jam etc. It is a long day, exposed to the elements.
    Wind, Swell, Sea, Sun, Rain or Hail and Salt Spray.

You can very quickly become dehydrated. Headache is often the first symptom. Sip small amounts of electrolytes / sports drinks frequently.

Storm-Petrel
    no beer or whiskey? oh.......

+ Reply to Thread